Skip to main content

Respect




I am a frequent traveler of public transport in Bengaluru. The world is compassionate when it comes to senior citizen and elders. So we have separate seats reserved for them in all the public transportation system. While we agree with the difficulties they face due to age, I have observed this trend of elders rudely commanding youngsters to leave the occupied seats. Respect is earned by personality and not by age. Unfortunately, our elders think otherwise and consider themselves to be superior towards anyone who sits there.

Today’s youngsters are not the uneducated brats who would not offer the seat if requested. The basic sense of compassion is lost when we behave rudely with anyone younger to us. A small kid is made to adjust to the corner of a seat because we think the kid doesn’t deserve to occupy a full seat. As a child, I was always taken for granted and was one of them to be pushed away into those corners. The difficulty a child experiences owing to the crawled spaces are somehow easily ignored by the selfish elders around. Isn’t the child a human? Does he not deserve some respect? Just because he happens to be small, do we stand still while he painfully experiences the sharp edges of the bus poke him throughout the journey?

Although the general crowd has the same attitude 90% of the times, I have experienced the flip side of the coin too. On a rainy day, the seats in the insides of the public buses of Bengaluru are often soaking wet. I saw an old lady, sitting right in the middle of a two-seater once. I politely asked her to move for which she replied apologetically that the seat on the other end is wet. I understood the situation and stood quietly. While she felt bad and responsible, she insisted me to sit in the corner half seat and queried me of my journey. She proved that being polite goes a long way. Many times I have seen elders scolding youngsters of being lost in phones in public places. I ask, what gives you any rights to even lift a finger at them. Their sole explanation for their scoldings would be that they considered the victims to be their kids. Unless they are your own and you seem to have some kind of authority on them, we should treat every person, regardless of their age, with respect and compassion. We are often taught in our early age to respect the elders, while we should be teaching them to respect all, be it an animal or a human.

This may sound like a repeat, but Respect is truly earned by personality and not by age. Respect is a two-way street. Period.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Covid 19 : My Journey - Part 1

 11 August 2020 Tired of my dad's uninterrupted coughing for over a week,  I finally managed to convince both my Mom & Dad to go to the hospital. My dad asked me to check on viral fever clinics, I nonchalantly said, 'there is no such thing as a viral fever clinic, but there are hospitals and we should be heading towards that'! [Young blood, too adamant to even listen to a piece of advice] Then I googled, and he was right, just that it wasn't being called a 'Viral fever clinic', but BBMP fever clinic and apparently they take up COVID test for free. I was embarrassed for opposing to my dad, but then I quickly found the nearest center, and we headed towards that. Leaving the house after being locked down forever was refreshing, and I could see some color in my dad and mom too. We reached the Hosahalli Ufwc Uphc [Upper Primary health care ]. There wasn't much of a crowd. But there were some people waiting to get tested. We waited in the queue, and we were as

Covid 19 : My Journey - The Finale

I received mixed reactions when I informed my situation to the extended friend circle. Some were not convinced and pushed me to go for a retest. Some criticized the doctors and hospital for covid deaths of their close friends. Some were thankful to me for sharing my experiences. Either way, I felt there is a huge lack of awareness and that's what motivated me to write this series. Hoping that it reaches further and helps some confused soul like me on my day 1. There are definitely some pros and cons on home quarantine vs hospital. It's up to us to weigh it out and balance it and take a judicial decision considering our well being. Also, tomorrow is the day I can officially tear out the poster stuck outside my house. There is light after all at the end of the tunnel. P.S: Please don't carry your work to the hospital. Leave it at home. It's an opportunity to rejuvenate yourself. Take it gladly and go ahead. After Care: 1. Make sure you sanitize your residence well. 2. Was

Covid 19 : My Journey - Part 2

Gently absorbing what we had just heard, I picked my phone to inform my team-lead about the reports. He gave me words of assurance. When someone repeatedly says not to worry, the fact is that they are panicking more than you. I called my sister to inform her that her whole family is tested COVID positive. I could sense that she was scared and crying a bit. My sister is really strong, she never cries.  My dad made a couple of calls to inform the near ones. His voice was croaking by now with all that coughing. He was tired. BBMP had informed us that they will give us a second call by the next day. We had lost all the hope by now. My mom wasn't ready to believe it at all, and arguments broke frequently if BBMP faked the tests, with counter-arguments on what benefit will they get on faking the tests. My mom is a huge fan of TV9 (local news channel), so she was gathering the inputs from there. As suggested by the lady doctor, we took our medicines promptly now with more seriousness and